Saturday, April 11, 2020
Am I a Soldier of the Cross - #445 - Watts
"Am I a Soldier of the Cross"
by Isaac Watts, 1674-1748
1. Am I a solder of the Cross,
A foll'wer of the Lamb,
And shall I fear to own
His cause Or blush to speak His name?
2. Must I be carried to the skies
On flow'ry beds of ease
While others fought to win the prize
And sailed thro' bloody seas?
3. Are there no foes for me to face?
Must I not stem the flood?
Is this vile world a friend to grace
To help me on to God?
4. Sure I must fight if I would reign;
Increase my courage, Lord!
I'll bear the toil, endure the pain,
Supported by Thy Word.
5. Thy saints in all this glorious war
Shall conquer though they die;
They see the triumph from afar
With faith's discerning eye.
6. When that illustrious Day shall rise
And all Thine armies shine
In robes of victory through the skies,
The glory shall be Thine.
The Lutheran Hymnal
Text: 1 Cor. 16:13
Author: Isaac Watts, 1721
Composer: Thomas Ests, 1592
Tune: "Winchester Old"