Thursday, April 16, 2020

I Gave My Life for Thee - #405


"I Gave My Life for Thee"
by Frances R. Havergal, 1836-1879

1. I gave My life for thee,
My precious blood I shed,
That thou might'st ransomed be
And quickened from the dead.
I gave My life for thee;
What hast thou given for Me?

2. I spent long years for thee
In weariness and woe
That an eternity
Of joy thou mightest know.
I spent long years for thee;
Hast thou spent one for Me?

3. My Father's home of light,
My rainbow-circled throne,
I left for earthly night,
For wanderings sad and lone.
I left it all for thee;
Hast thou left aught for Me?

4. I suffered much for thee,
More than My tongue may tell,
Of bitterest agony,
To rescue thee from hell.
I suffered much for thee;
What canst thou bear for Me?

5. And I have brought to thee
Down from My home above
Salvation full and free,
My pardon and My love.
Great gifts I brought to thee;
What hast thou brought to Me?

6. Oh, let thy life be given,
Thy years for Me be spent,
World's fetters all be riven,
And joy with suffering blent!
I gave Myself for thee:
Give thou thyself to Me.

Hymn #405
The Lutheran Hymnal
Text: Phil. 1:27
Author: Frances R. Havergal, 1858
Composer: Thomas Este, 1592
Tune: "Old 120th"
1st Published in: Psalter

No comments:

Post a Comment