Sunday, April 19, 2020

Not What These Hands have Done - #389 - Bonar





"Not What These Hands have Done"
by Horatius Bonar, 1808-1899


Can be sung to We Thee But Thine Own

1. Not what these hands have done
Can save this guilty soul;
Not what this toiling flesh has borne
Can make my spirit whole.

2. Not what I feel or do
Can give me peace with God;
Not all my prayers and sighs and tears
Can bear my awe-full load.

3. Thy work alone, O Christ,
Can ease this weight of sin;
Thy blood alone, O Lamb of God,
Can give me peace within.

4. Thy love to me, O God,
Not mine, O Lord to Thee,
Can rid me of this dark unrest
And set my spirit free.

5. Thy grace alone, O God,
To me can pardon speak;
Thy power alone, O Son of God,
Can this sore bondage break.

6. I bless the Christ of God,
I rest on love divine,
And with unfaltering lip and heart
I call this Savior mine.

Hymn #389
The Lutheran Hymnal
Text: Ephesians 2:8, 9
Author: Horatius Bonar, 1861, cento
Composer: Samuel Howard, 1762
Tune: "St. Bride"
Can be sung to We Thee But Thine Own

Horatius Bonar

"His hymns, which number over 140, include:

  • All Praise to Him Who Built the Hills
  • All That I Was
  • Fill thou my life, O Lord, my God
  • I Lay My Sins on Jesus
  • I heard the Voice of Jesus say
  • I Was a Wandering Sheep
  • Thy way, not mine, O Lord
  • Here, O my Lord, I see Thee face to face
  • A few more years shall roll
  • Come Lord and tarry not
  • O love of God, how strong and true" Wiki

No comments:

Post a Comment