Tuesday, April 14, 2020

For Me To Live Is Jesus - #597 - Winkworth Translation


"For Me to Live Is Jesus"
by unknown, 1609, 1612
Translated by Catherine Winkworth, 1829-1878; stanzas 1-7

1. For me to live Is Jesus.
To die is gain for me;
Then, whensoe'er He pleases,
I meet death willingly.

2. For Christ, my Lord and Brother,
I leave this world so dim
And gladly seek that other,
Where I shall be with Him.

3. My woes are nearly over,
Though long and dark the road;
My sin His merits cover,
And I have peace with God.

4. Lord, when my powers are failing,
My breath comes heavily,
And words are unavailing.
Oh, hear my sighs to Thee!

5. When mind and thought, 0 Savior,
Are flickering like a light
That to and fro doth waver
Ere 'tis extinguished quite,

6. In that last hour, oh, grant me
To slumber soft and still,
No doubts to vex or haunt me,
Safe anchored on Thy will;

7. And so to Thee still cleaving
Through all death's agony,
To fall asleep believing
And wake in heaven with Thee.

8.Amen! Thou, Christ, my Savior.
Wilt grant this unto me.
Thy Spirit lead me ever
That I fare happily.

Hymn #597
The Lutheran Hymnal
Text: Phil. 1:21
Author: unknown, 1609, 1612
Translated by: Catherine Winkworth, 1863, alt; st. 1-7
Translated by: unknown, st. 8
Titled: "Christus, der ist mein Leben"
Composer: Melchior Vulpius, 1609
Tune: "Christus, der ist mein"

No comments:

Post a Comment