Sunday, April 19, 2020
Oh God, Be With Us - #556
"Oh God, Be With Us"
by Petrus Herbert, 1566
1. O God, be with us, for the night is falling;
For Thy protection we to Thee are calling;
Beneath Thy shadow to our rest we yield us;
Thou, Lord, wilt shield us.
2. May evil fancies flee away before us;
Till morning cometh, watch, O Father, o'er us;
In soul and body Thou from harm defend us,
Thine angel send us.
3. While we are sleeping, keep us in Thy favor;
When we awaken, let us never waver
All day to serve Thee, Thy due praise pursuing
In all our doing.
4. Through Thy Beloved soothe the sick and weeping
And bid the captive lose his grief in sleeping;
Widows and orphans, we to Thee commend them,
Do Thou befriend them.
5. We have no refuge, none on earth to aid us,
Save Thee, O Father, who Thine own hast made us.
But Thy dear presence will not leave them lonely
Who seek Thee only.
6. Thy name be hallowed and Thy kingdom given,
Thy will among us done as 'tis in heaven;
Feed us, forgive us, from all ill deliver
Now and forever.
The Lutheran Hymnal
Text: Ps. 121:3
Author: St. 1-4, 6, Petrus Herbert, 1566
St. 5, author unknowm, 1627
Translated by: based on Catherine Winkworth, 1863
Titled: "Die Nacht ist kommen"
Composer: Petrus Nigidius, 1550
Tune: "Die Nacht ist kommen"